Chiva Chaitya Organization’s vision is for the Kathmandu Valley and surrounding areas in which Chiva – its preservation, protection and respect shown towards it is linked with pride by both permanent and visiting residents of the valley.
Similarly, Hiti system of Kathmandu valley is unique in the world which has been providing water to neighborhoods in hundreds of years in hundreds of numbers.
But now due to unplanned urbanization and insensitivity towards different aspects of archaeology, social, economic values these heritages are encroached and endangered.
Vision: All heritages like Chivas and Hiti systems are documented, restored and promoted.
Chiva Chaitya Organization moves forward with the mission to:
- prepare and organize visual database of Chiva and Hitis, their location and inscriptions
- educate general public and government agencies about the need for protection of Heritage Sites
- facilitate for any people or agency willing to repair/preserve/renovate a neglected heritage like Chiva/Hiti
- Work on a consolidated report on ways to protect Hiti system as well as water sources in the valley as a whole.
In order to fulfill our mission and vision, we are doing following things:
- We have continued to collect and organize inventory of all Chiva and currently photo information on more than 1500 Chiva has been collected
- To educate the general public facebook page https://facebook.com/chivachaitya and instagram @chiva_chaitya are being operated
- Presentation on Chiva are given to staff of companies
- Cleaning activities on some Chiva are done
- Photograph all the Chiva
- Translate all the Chiva inscription (this can give establish-ers, date of establishment, it’s history and also can give insight in the overall history of the Kathmandu Valley)
- Prepare a google maps layer which will have all the locations of each and every chiva
- Prepare a secure and exhaustive database of all Chivas for use by scholars and general public.
- Take out books and other media to inform general public and generate revenue, which will be used for maintenance/repair of damaged neglected Chiva/Hitis
- People will be able to report of any encroachment or damage on a Chiva. We will approach local authorities, establish-ers and locals to maintain those Chiva.
- Give presentation to school, colleges, company events and other public events etc
- Facilitate any repair or maintenance activity on neglected heritage sites like Chivas and Hitis
- Seek necessary resources for heritage preservation
- Educate people and agencies about the heritage protection guidelines